KCHFT - KAT1E
KAT1E (Kent Adult Type 1 Education) is a local QISMET accredited education programme for patients living with type 1 diabetes. KAT1E is a four-day course, held for one day a week over four weeks. It is held in different places across east Kent.
The session covers:
- Living with diabetes: Injection technique, all about insulins, blood glucose and ketone monitoring.
- Carbohydrate counting: Learn how to estimate the carbohydrate content of your meals and snacks.
- Adjusting insulin doses: Learn how to adjust your insulin with your meals, for physical activity and during illness.
- Hypoglycaemia: Recommended treatment and driving guidelines.
- Long-term health: How to develop effective relationships with healthcare professionals.
- Social aspects: Pregnancy, travel and driving.
- Your questions and answers.
KCHFT – DERIK
DERIK (Diabetes Education and Revision in Kent) is the structured education programme that has been designed for patients with type 2 diabetes.
This is a four hour QISMET accredited session which covers:
- What is diabetes? Including treatment choices.
- Healthy eating: Making good food choices.
- Looking after your feet
- Long term complications: how to reduce the risk of developing complications.
- Activity: Why is it important?
- Setting goals: Do you want to make changes regarding your health?
- Your questions and answers.
This is offered at venues across Kent (excluding north Kent).
DGS DAFNE and DESMOND
- We offer DAFNE Type 1 education as a face to face 5 day course and DESMOND Type 2 education as a face to face 1 day course
- When able to offer face to face we intend to offer for DAFNE – 8 people per course/6 courses per year
- When able to offer face to face we intend to offer for DESMOND – 10 people per course/41 courses per year
At the current time (Covid-19) there is no DAFNE provision.
We are currently offering online access to MyDESMOND to enable Type 2 patients to access the information they need. DESMOND have informed us that this will count as having attended a course. For those who do not have online access we are sending out a variety of information sheets and offering patients the opportunity to speak to a dietitian, these patients will remain on the waiting list for face to face education.
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells
We hold three types of courses. One is a 5 day course Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00, One is a 5 days course for patient on PUMP therapy 9.00 to 5.00 and one is called 5 x 1 course which is 5 consecutive Mondays for 5 weeks 9.00 to 5.00.
All DAFNE data and courses are recorded on the DAFNE database which is found at http://dafne.shef.ac.uk.
At Abbey Court we generally run 6 courses per year with approx 8 patients per course (maximum of 10 patients). Maidstone is the same but often only 3-4 courses is required. They can only hold a maximum of 8 per course.
Obviously this is currently subject to change due to COVID.
We provide Xpert education - 6 sessions per course, providing approximately 12 courses per year. We provide morning, evening and afternoon sessions, at Sheppey hospital and at Sittingbourne Memorial hospital.
What is Oviva Diabetes Support? Oviva Diabetes Support provides personalised, one to-one-support from a Specialist Diabetes Dietitian, with care delivered over the phone or via a mobile phone App. The aims of the programme are:
- To manage your weight (if that is your personal goal)
- To improve the quality of your diet
- To improve your well-being
- To increase your activity levels if necessary
- To help you feel more confident in managing your diabetes
- To help you to build healthy habits, reach your personal goals, and lead a healthier, happier lifestyle
- To reduce your risk of diabetes-related health complications
As part of the programme, you will receive 8 weeks of personalised support from your own Specialist Diabetes Dietitian. There is also an online learning portal that you can use for self-directed learning in your own time, as well as secure in-app messaging with your dietitian. Because the programme is fully remote, you can access the programme from anywhere and receive coaching at a time that suits you